Full disclosure: I love Pinterest. I have plenty of boards and pins in my collection. I also love children’s handprints. However, in the screenshot below, the handprints are cute but far from real reindeer while the painting on the right is far from a ‘fail’ and actually a higher quality experience.
Pinterest can be a valuable resource when viewed with a DAP lens. A few considerations when searching or browsing through Pinterest (or other sites):
- Is the experience for the child or for the adult?
- Is the experience meaningful for the child?
- What is the child getting out of the experience?
- Does the intended outcome require an adult to control the child’s body or manipulate the child’s work?
- Just because the tagline or Pinner says it’s DAP doesn’t mean it is DAP
- Is it cute or is it quality?